Choose the most Suitable Caliper for you!
- on January 21, 2022
- Categories: News & Announcements
If the measurements you take are accurate, precise and on target, then the following work becomes easy and trouble-free.
Calipers define if your workflow goes smooth or not. Thus, it becomes a necessity that you know how to choose the one that will work the best for your job.
You may want to make absolute or relative measurements. Calipers come in large measuring ranges and various measuring modes.
And, the versatility that calipers offer may put you in a tight spot to decide
This blog aims to help you figure out!
First, we’ll familiarize you with the different basic types of calipers, their pros and cons, so that you can make an accurate choice.
Vernier Calipers: The simplest of all. Vernier calipers have dual scale-one on the top, another on the bottom. The design avoids complexity and thus, vernier calipers are generally good quality stuff. They can be used to measure the depth, internal as well as external diameter.
- Sturdy and durable
- Provides precise measurement
- Accurate and precise over a large range
- Extremely versatile
- Reliable and flexible-suitable in most situations
- Knowledge to read the scale
- Needs good eyesight
- Is prone to human error
Digital Calipers: Bad with numbers? A Digital caliper is your hero! With approaching times, digital calipers are becoming a trend. The inbuilt technology will calculate the most precise measurement for you. Allows outside, inside, depth and step measurements.
- Precise measurement up to 0.001 of an inch
- Instantaneous measure display
- Easy metric and imperial readings both
- Fast and Free of human error
- Prone to water damage
- Requires batteries
- Can not be trusted in varying temperatures
- Expensive option
Dial Calipers: Dial calipers are ideal for professional precision measures. Works in a two part process - the needle indicated reading on the dial and the reading on the main scale. To get the final measurement, the user is required to combine these 2 readings.
- Completely Mechanical
- No batteries, No power
- Clear measurement display
- Works well even in moisture
- A less expensive option for professional work
- Adjustable Bezel for zero setting
- Damaged rack and pinion may give inaccurate readings
- Sensitive dial built, careful handling
- magnetic - field sensitive device
- You get either metric or imperial readings.
Spring Joint Calipers: These calipers won’t read out your measurements but can be used to measure inner and outer diameters. You are required to lock the measurement and use a scale to determine it.
- Easy leg spacing adjustments
- Range from 3 inches -12 inches
- Size determines the capacity of measurement
- Demands skill
- No graduation scale
- Requires to be checked against a ruler
Jenny Calipers: Also, termed as odd-legged calipers. The functionality is similar to that of a compass. One end is placed fixed, and the other is used for measuring. It can be used with glass and hard plastics, along with metal and steel parts.
- High durability
- Helps locate the center of an object
- Easy maintenance
- Correct usage, gives accurate measurements
- Requires an extra measuring tool
- Has limited accuracy
Now, that you are familiar with some common calipers, it’s time you take account of all the considerations. Before you buy a caliper, ensure that you have your requirements jotted down, all crystal clear. Think about the application environment.
A mix of your preference and application will help you determine what might be the best pick for you!
To make it easier for you, our experts have listed out a caliper choosing criteria for you. Hope it helps you make an informed choice.
While choosing a caliper, look for the following:
- Construct material: Choose stainless steel, or carbon fiber based calipers.
- Highly Accurate measurement and Calibration: Select Calipers with smooth measuring jaws, a reasonable measurement range and precise readings.
- Reliability and Durability: Preferably, metal made, oil resistant, water-resistant and dust resistant. You may want to check the warranty period.
- Multiple Measuring Units: Invest in a caliper that can switch to between metric and imperial units of measurement.
- Longer Battery Life for Digital Calipers.
- High Quality locking screw
- Long Length Calipers: Longer Calipers are more efficient.
- Sturdy Inside-Outside jaws: Delicate jaws can mess up your work.
GROZ USA has the ultimate range of professional Calipers and Compasses that deliver the most precise results to you, and won’t ditch you midway. Buy the best calipers online!